Monday, March 17, 2008

WHAT CAME FIRST- RSS OR THE INFO?

RSS feeds are indeed a very useful tool. My organization already uses RSS as a means to keep people up-to-date on our advocacy happenings, which are generally time-sensitive and have a dedicated group of followers.

As the librarian, I use RSS to keep track of blogs, tables of contents, and news. Like most librarians, I have a dual role here- constant seeking of subject news and resources for my organization and constituents, and library news to keep me sharp.

When I was asked to reflect on how I can see RSS being used by my library, my thoughts quickly migrated to a "New Materials" feed. I have many patrons that would benefit from learning about new resources that we've acquired. But would people subscribe?

Hold yer horses, Saucey. The first logical thing to think about is not the RSS, but the source. First, the issue to think about is simply the creation, posting and upkeep of such a list. Do I have time to do it? Ideally- yes. And that information would be housed on the library web site, for all to peruse- not just subscribe to. The RSS should be an afterthought of the information itself, not the purpose.

But why did I have to take this round about course to arrive back at the need for a "new material" listing for our library? Oh yeah, because that is timely information that people want to know... and the best way for timely information gathering is RSS.

If you don't know what-the-hey an RSS is- then check out this Common Craft video "RSS in Plain Language."

No comments:

Post a Comment